Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Joys and Fears of Switching Medications


January 17th, 2017

It’s here; it’s finally here. The day I muster up the courage to request a medication change. It has taken a year of building up to. A year of research. A year of frustrations and mounting fear but I’m finally here in the dr.’s office asking to change my medication.

After close to four years of being on the same medication for Bipolar, I have finally decided the side effects far outweigh the benefits. When I first went on this medication, I knew that it caused weight gain and metabolic changes. I really thought I could handle those. As someone’s whose home away from home is the gym, I really thought I wouldn’t gain any weight. Almost four years later, I’m up 50lbs and counting. Over the past few years, I’ve deprived myself in order to prevent weight gain; even maintaining would make me happy but no one prepared me for the reality of it. My case manager and doctor told me that I’m actually on the low end of weight gain for people taking this medication as some people gain at least 100lbs within the first two years. But the weight gain wasn’t a deal breaker for me. I could handle it; for the most part. One of the deal breakers for me was going into the hospital with heart arrhythmia. One of the side effects of the medication I am on is sudden death from arrhythmia. Since heart problems already run in my family (my sister died of an aortic rupture), I was terrified that something like that would happen to me as well. Another deal breaker was potential infertility. The medication I was on had the ability to cause infertility even though it wasn’t very common. As my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year and a half now, I thought that maybe switching meds may help us conceive.

So here I am. My doctor agrees that a change in medication would be the best course of action. She puts me on a medication that has less chance of the side effects I’m fearful of and the bonus is that it’s even safer for pregnancy than the previous medication I was taking.

January 24th - January 31st

This past week, the change in medication included titrating the meds so I have less chance of relapse. Unfortunately, this is also the week I have to take all those lovely hormones to stimulate ovulation to assure pregnancy hopefully in the coming months. I have felt my balance all out of whack this week between fighting nausea and exhaustion from the new med plus the nausea and irritability I’m sure is from the hormones. The good news is that I haven’t had any Bipolar symptoms. This is a blessing.

The steps that I have had to take to prepare for a change in medication is pretty extensive. Talking to my husband about potential symptoms. Telling him what to look for and when to commit me (not that this will happen but it is a precaution those with mental illness have to take). Talking to trusted friends about possible changes in behavior. Being super aware of every change in emotion and evaluating those emotions as reasonable or not reasonable. It’s not easy to change medication and it’s extremely scary especially if you have been on a medication that has changed your personality completely. It’s scary losing yourself and when you finally find yourself again, having to face the potential of losing yourself once more. You wouldn’t understand if you’ve never had a mental illness but I will try to explain: Imagine this, you are you and you know who you are. Your life is then flipped upside down because of a mental illness. In this new world, you’re not sure what is reality and what is not. You do things out of character. You’re not sure if the person you knew you were is still the person you are. It’s like you’re watching someone else live your life and you can’t do anything to change it. Scary!

The potential of living through that again is absolutely terrifying and I wouldn’t do it unless it was absolutely necessary.

February 1st - February 8th

Another week where I’ve had to battle nausea and exhaustion on top of trying to fight the common cold. I’m more irritable than usual and wonder if this is a Bipolar symptom or just an effect from being sick and overworked. I really think it’s the latter. I don’t get very much downtime nowadays and I only have time to watch TV for about 2-3 hours a week; if I’m lucky. About an hour a week spending time watching Will’s shows and an hour or two watching with my husband on our “date nights”. I don't have the time or mental capacity to enjoy reading because I'm so exhausted by the end of the day. Reading for fun is what I miss the most. My house is a wreck (in my eyes) and even though I try to stay on top of it, almost all my hours on the weekends are now devoted to work or spending time with Will. I haven’t been sleeping well at night. Instead of having a hard time waking up in the morning, I have a hard time staying asleep. 2am has become my new wakeup time. Changes at work are stressing me out but I’m holding my own. It helps when you have a great support system like I do. Once I am over this cold and adjusted to the idea of change at work, I think I’ll be ok. Overall, I think things are going well despite trying to handle all the new changes and challenges with my physical health and workload.

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment